Thanks for stopping by! We're two cousins who love to craft on the cheap and share our ideas. We'd love for you to stay awhile, pull up your Pin it! button, sewing machine, and let us know what you think!

Monday, July 30, 2012

They were cones!

So there’s something I’ve wanted for my sewing machine for a LONG time. Like, every birthday and Christmas I give the idea to my husband to see if this will be the year. So, this weekend, I just decided to take matters into my own hands. It’s not pretty, but it works. After I finished it, hubby said he would make me “a cool one.” and I said I didn’t care cuz I just wanted one that works. So what was it you ask? Well, let’s say you’re like me, and don’t want to buy little spools of white thread, so you get the serger cone. And this is how it sits on the machine.

Serger Cone DIY (2)

And let’s say you got lectured the last time you got your machine serviced by the guy who did it that it ruins tension, and doesn’t make a nice stitch.

Serger Cone DIY (3)

So, I made my serger cone holder thing. Technical term. Really, Google it. Anyway, I got me a wire hanger No more wire hangers! And I measured how tall I wanted it on my machine and snipped it with wire cutters.

Serger Cone DIY (4)

I did mine as tall as the spool holder there. Give or take. Then, cut it so you’ve got about 2 inches extra on the other end. Like so.

Serger Cone DIY (5)

And then form a loop shape. Like so.

Serger Cone DIY (7)

Then, get a piece of scrap wood. Mine was about 3/4” wide, and about 3”x4”. Drill some holes in it for your hanger and dowel.

Serger Cone DIY (9)

What’s that? You don’t have a dowel? I didn’t either. Ready for it?

Serger Cone DIY (10)

Oh, isn’t it pretty? Like I said, it’s totally utilitarian. I don’t care. I may paint it just because I can. It works.

Serger Cone DIY (11)

Totally awesome pencil sticking out.

Serger Cone DIY (12)

See? A lovely back shot of my machine.

Serger Cone DIY (1)

Oh, it works! Don’t mind my cluttered table. I’m working on 30 projects in my head, so I should have some cool stuff soon. I’ll be back Wednesday with a fun post! Want a sneak peek? Here ya go!

Serger Cone DIY (8)

Happy Monday.

Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha ha! I love it! Very clever and resourceful! :)

    I also use serger thread whenever I can. I bought this when I bought my new machines. I use it all the time.

    http://www.amazon.com/Dritz-921-Cone-Thread-Holder/dp/B0019KDYL2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343663263&sr=8-1&keywords=serger+cone+holder

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahaha.. I simply use them up side down, works too!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking a minute to let us know what you think! We read and appreciate all of your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...